17 Dec 2020
Okuma's MCR-S (Super) Double-Column Machining Center
Receives a 50th Machine Design Award
Okuma's MCR-S (Super) Double-Column Machining Center [5-Face Machining] received a Machine Design Award (IDEA) sponsored by The Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun (The Daily Industrial News). Two of our products won a prize at the same time; the other being our MB-80V Vertical Machining Center.
The MCR-S was developed by thoroughly addressing the issues in die/mold machining such as cycle time, accuracy, area step error and machined surface quality. There are three main design concepts:
- Super-accuracy-oriented designing
- Equipped with Okuma's Thermo Friendly Concept, a thermal deformation control technology that maintains high accuracy and stability through the entire workspace area.
- A newly developed 3D Calibration* system, a volumetric accuracy calibration technology that provides super-accurate comparisons with actual machine spatial accuracies.
- Achieves highly reliable levels of on-machine gauging* comparable to a coordinate measuring machine by fusing the technologies of volumetric accuracy calibration and Okuma thermal deformation control.
- Human-assisted machine design
- New Accuracy Stability Diagnosis Function* allows the machine to self-diagnose machine accuracy stability and provide easy-to-understand numericals and visuals.
- Equipped with Hyper-Surface*, a high-quality NC control technology for machined surfaces that greatly reduces die/mold polishing work.
- Innovatively designed for die/mold production
- Optimal machine designs provide shorter total lead times, lower costs, higher speed and accuracy, as well as higher quality machining.
- With the laser unit mounted specification*, the total lead time is dramatically shortened by the world's only super process-intensive machining that can cut, measure, heat treat, and repair parts with one machine.
The MCR-S is a super-high accuracy, process-intensive, double-column machining center that revolutionizes the production of press dies.
- Other recipients of the Machine Design Award
- The 49th (2019) Grand Prize (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Award) for the ARMROID Next-Generation Robot System
- The 48th (2018) Grand Prize (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Award) for the MU-S600V 5-Axis Vertical Machining Center
- The 45th (2015) Grand Prize (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Award) for the ECO suite Next-Generation Energy-Saving System
The 44th (2014) Japan Machine Tool Manufacturers Association Award
for the MCR-C Double-Column Machining Center [5-Face Machining]
The 43rd (2013) Judging Committee Special Award
for the MU-10000H 5-Axis Horizontal Machining Center
- The 42nd (2012) Grand Prize (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Award) for the MULTUS B300II Intelligent Multitasking Machine
- The 40th (2010) Judging Committee Special Award for the VTR-A Series Double Column Turning Centers
The 38th (2008) Japan Machine Tool Manufacturers Association Award
for the MULTUS B200 Intelligent Multitasking Machine
- The 35th (2005) Japan Machine Tool Manufacturers Association Award for the 2SP-150H 2-Spindle Horizontal CNC Lathe
The 34th (2004) Judging Committee Special Award
for the UNIVERSAL CENTER MU-400VA 5-Axis Vertical Machining Center