17 Dec 2020
Okuma's MB-80V Vertical Machining Center
Receives a 50th Machine Design Award
Okuma's MB-80V Vertical Machining Center won a Machine Design Award (IDEA) sponsored by The Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, Ltd. (The Daily Industrial News). Two of our products won this prize at the same time; the other being our MCR-S Double Column Machining Center.
The MB-80V is a VMC for long-term unattended operation of large components and die/molds.
In the manufacturing of large components and die/molds, where demand is increasing mainly in the semiconductor and the automobile industries, there is a demand—due to a shortage of human resources—for machine tools that achieve long periods of unmanned operation with high productivity and good maintainability.
The MB-80V was developed to solve these market challenges.
There are three main design concepts:
- Smart machine designing that never stops
- The high chip discharge performance of the "sludge-less tank*" and "crossrail mounted shower coolant*" enhance automated and unmanned cleaning jobs, to provide long-hours of stable, unattended operation.
- Equipped with 3D Calibration*, a newly developed volumetric accuracy calibration technology that compares the spatial accuracy of the machine with ultra-high accuracy very quickly.
- Okuma's Thermo Friendly Concept, a thermal deformation control technology uses AI technology to keep the machine operating with high accuracy and stability even when factory/ambient temperatures change.
- Innovative visualization designs
- Equipped with an Accuracy Stability Diagnosis Function* that allows the machine to self-diagnose machine accuracy stability with easy-to-understand numericals and visuals.
- Equipped with an AI Machine Diagnosis Function*, which allows AI to autonomously self-diagnose and visualize the presence or absence of abnormalities in spindle bearings and ball screws and locate deformations, to prevent machine failures.
- Throughput maximizing designs
- Best footprint productivity with the largest work envelope in the smallest space.
- Equipped with Hyper-Surface*, a machining surface high-quality NC control technology that helps achieve high-quality die/molds without advanced levels of operator know-how.
- High flexibility and expandability to build an optimal automation system according to the workpiece, type of production, and factory space.
The MB-80V is a vertical machining center that revolutionizes the manufacturing process for machining large components and die/molds and significantly changes the way people work.
- Other recipients of the Machine Design Award
- The 49th (2019) Grand Prize (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Award) for the ARMROID Next-Generation Robot System
- The 48th (2018) Grand Prize (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Award) for the MU-S600V 5-Axis Vertical Machining Center
- The 45th (2015) Grand Prize (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Award) for the ECO suite Next-Generation Energy-Saving System
The 44th (2014) Japan Machine Tool Manufacturers Association Award
for the MCR-C Double-Column Machining Center [5-Face Machining]
The 43rd (2013) Judging Committee Special Award
for the MU-10000H 5-Axis Horizontal Machining Center
- The 42nd (2012) Grand Prize (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Award) for the MULTUS B300II Intelligent Multitasking Machine
- The 40th (2010) Judging Committee Special Award for the VTR-A Series Double Column Turning Centers
The 38th (2008) Japan Machine Tool Manufacturers Association Award
for the MULTUS B200 Intelligent Multitasking Machine
- The 35th (2005) Japan Machine Tool Manufacturers Association Award for the 2SP-150H 2-Spindle Horizontal CNC Lathe
The 34th (2004) Judging Committee Special Award
for the UNIVERSAL CENTER MU-400VA 5-Axis Vertical Machining Center